Wednesday, March 10, 2010

It's A Beautiful Day


Dinghys tied to a dock in Monterey Bay

I went for a run today and I felt my energy skyrocket. The mercury has re assumed it's elevated level on the thermostat. Surprisingly there was an influx of runners and walkers on the path. Obviously the pleasant weather brought them out of hiding, but I would have thought the warmer weather would be a shock to the system. It certainly has been to mine. My runs have been comfortable with the clouds and breeze and mild weather. Today was the first day that my face was flushed red and I felt the heat level rise in my body. The heat felt like pure positive energy pulsing through my system. I centered myself in a "zone." I concentrated on steady breathing, my arms pumping, the sun burning down on my face, the breeze gently cooling, my steps rhythmic and methodical. As I slowed for my cool down walk for the last 1/4 mile, I could feel the blood pulsating through my system. My face was hot, but I wasn't uncomfortable. I could feel energy radiating out, bordering on euphoria, as I continued my steady breathing. It was the strangest most elated sensation I have ever gotten from a run. It was like my body was telling me that I am finally in the right climate, that for too long it has battled the weariness of being cold and constantly and tirelessly chugging to keep my system at a comfortable 98.6 degrees. I felt clear headed and motivated, being surrounded with this beautiful day that embraced me.

I am going to be writing for the Decanted Wines Blog starting soon. It will be similar to what I am doing now with my blog, but with more emphasis on wine and beer and less emphasis on food. You can see my first article posted on their website on Washington Wines
I will keep you posted!

Today's recipe was kind of a compilation of leftovers. I had made this vodka sauce several weeks ago and froze the remainder. This recipe makes a huge amount. I think it served three of us when I made it. Last night I took half of what I had left out of the freezer and that was plenty for two of us with a little leftover, and there is still another serving left! So you can either do like what I did and freeze it or just half the recipe. I think we served it with shrimp last time. This time I did roasted chicken and it turned out excellent. I had three chicken legs in the freezer that didn't have a whole lot of meat on them, so they were perfect for a pasta topping. I have been really into penne, shells and orzo pasta lately, but all we had on hand was spaghetti noodles. Use whatever you would like. This sauce is so easy and has really great flavor, I found it by doing quick search for a vodka sauce and a recipe on All Recipes.com popped up. You'll never go back to a jar of sauce after this one.


Pasta with Vodka Sauce and Roast Chicken
Serves 8

For the Chicken:

2 lbs chicken breast or legs, or a whole chicken
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh or dried oregano and thyme
2 cloves garlic, chopped
salt and pepper

For the Sauce:

1/2 cup butter
1 onion, diced
1 cup vodka
2 - 28 oz cans crushed Italian tomatoes
1 pint heavy cream

2 lbs pasta noodles

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken in a roasting pan and coat with olive oil. Top chicken with herbs, garlic, salt and pepper. Place in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the chicken begins to brown. When chicken is brown, put a lid or foil over the top. Baste chicken occasionally with the juices. Cook until thermometer reads 165 degrees in the thickest spot, about 30 minutes to 1 hour more.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and saute onion until browned and soft. Pour in vodka and cook for 10 minutes. Mix in crushed tomatoes and cook for 30 minutes. Pour in heavy cream and cook for another 30 minutes.

Heat a large pot filled with salted water and cook pasta according to directions on package.

Serve pasta with sauce and chicken with grated Parmesan.


No comments:

Post a Comment