Saturday, February 27, 2010

Vitamin D INXS



Yesterday I got a bad case of vitamin D. It was my own fault. I knew it the minute I got to the dog beach. The sun was shining, the water reflecting, and me without my sunscreen. I am still at that sensitive stage, lightly tanned but without a solid base. I look at pictures from last summer when I had just returned from the Bahamas - 4th of July at Lake Curlew is a prime example - bleached blonde hair and deeply tanned skin (deeply tanned for a Scandinavian). I looked in the mirror around Christmas time and I hardly recognized myself, the transition had been slow. My face had lightened and my hair darkened. I could still pass for blonde, but I had been demoted to "dirty blonde." Since my return to the Sunshine State, I have noticed a slow transition back the other way, my hair now has champagne streaks when the light catches it right. I feel as if I am getting back to my real self again. I still take my D vitamins, fish oil and daily multi-vitamins...take your vitamins! A few pills while your young saves you taking a lot of pills when you are old! Most people, even in sunny states, do not have adequate vitamin D in their systems. Vitamin D2 and D3 are important because they help your body absorb calcium and phosphorous. But don't overdo it like I did yesterday and get burnt. That's the perfect recipe for melanoma.

I often think about how fortunate we have been to be able to go on an adventure like we did. It was hard visiting Pegasus the other day. That was our home for a year. Her musty interior smell brought back fond memories. When we climbed below, we bumped our heads and stubbed our toes. We kicked over the dog water bowl daily and the hatch over my head leaked while I slept, dripping water on my forehead like Chinese torture. Our books were soaked and mildewy and our stereo got salty and stopped working. It was an ordeal trying to find the shirt you wanted to wear in our little cubbies that held our clothes. Wrinkles were a permanent part of our ensemble. My galley was the tiniest cooking space I have ever experienced, my work space spread out to the settees and the stairs. However, I produced some of the best meals we have ever eaten on that boat with just a two burner alcohol stove and a bbq grill. Ever tried bbq-ing cookies for Christmas? And finding a cookie recipe that doesn't call for baking powder? (shortbread cookies). I don't know what a 32 ft sailboat works out to in square footage with all its curves and crannies, but lets just say your smallest apartment in Manhattan feels like a penthouse suite compared to living on Pegasus, and our cozy 873 square ft home in Tahoe might as well be the Taj Mahal. Despite the lack of basic living comforts, it was the happiest time of my life. I loved the simplicity of living on a boat. I came across this quote the other day it I feel like it pretty much sums up what I have come to learn in my adventuring years - as well as the hoards of middle-aged and retirees that have given us their simple advice of "do it while you are young." I don't know how many times I have heard people say, "if we hadn't had kids right away...we would have done what you guys are doing," or "I wish we would have taken the time instead of jumping into careers right away." It made me feel less like a flake that we hadn't settled down yet, and more fortunate than anything. So here is one of my favorite quotes:
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

Today is gray. It feels like winter. The sun has been teasing us, coming out every few days, even bringing temperatures up into the 80's. Now a cold front from the north is boring down on us, bringing frost warnings at night and a high of 60 for the next few days. I know, I know, it's not 3 degrees like it is for all of you in places like St. Louis and Buffalo, but I'm still going to complain because I'm in Florida and it should be warm. It's Vacationland! So despite all the boat talk, I'm going to give you a hearty winter meal because I feel like you need it up north and I'm definitely feeling it down here. If you like the idea of meatloaf, but want something a little lighter (and cheaper!), this turkey meatloaf is great. It's super easy and oh so tasty. It turns out really moist and bursting with flavor. My sister made this last winter so I snagged the recipe from her, who got the recipe from her friend Jamie. That's the best I can do with giving someone credit. Whoever originally discovered this recipe, I give you kudos.

Turkey Meatloaf with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Rosemary
Serves 4

1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2/3 cup drained oil packed sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped OR 2 tbsp dried rosemary
2 tsp dried sage (optional)
2 tsp dried oregano (optional)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground pepper
Ketchup

Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions, saute 5 minutes. Add celery and saute until vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes longer. Transfer to a large bowl.

Add all remaining ingredients except ketchup to veggies in bowl. Mix thoroughly. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour. Brush with ketchup and bake until thermometer reads 165 F, about 15 minutes longer. Cool 5 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. I agree this one is the best!!! I confess I did not make it....Mariah did and oh...so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I'm going to try that.

    Someone once told me depending on when you have kids, you are either a play now couple or a play later couple. Play it up now (and don't ever feel like a flake). Tim and I get our date nights here and there and an occasional weekend away, but we are just biding our time until we can play later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely, there is always time to play whether you have kids or not. We have friends that will have their kids out of the house when they are in their early 40's. If we decide to have kids, I will be pushing 50, so it all depends. It's important to just enjoy ever minute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok this one even passed the meat eater of the family...I try to use turkey as much as I can but between Danni and Dave I do not have much luck..but they both liked this one, its nice to read your blog and get dinner ideas all at once...I had forgot about the avocado's your mom made, so I will try them on my family tonight..

    ReplyDelete